September 2013 issue – NOJCSC Intermission Newsletter
September 4th, 2013
Please join us at our next Club meeting on Sunday, September 15, 2013 at the Press Box at Westminster Lanes, Westminster for an entertaining afternoon of Traditional Jazz and Swing featuring the Revelation Jazz Band and Club Musicians performing all afternoon.
The Club also offers members a “Tailgate” room set aside for musicians of all ages and skill levels to practice their instruments with direction from accomplished musicians.
- Live Music from 1 PM to 5 PM.
- Bar Service.
- Large Dance Floor.
- Big Daddy’s Cafe, offering delicious food and snacks.
- Tailgate Room — musicians, bring your instruments for a jam session. Sign in with the music director. This room is for you!
- Friends and Fun!
Renowned Trombonist Paul Ingle Returns to NOJCSC This Month
The Club welcomes trombonist, vocalist & band leader Paul Ingle all the way from Melbourne, Australia. He will be sitting in and performing with the Revelation Jazz Band at the September 15 club meeting. This indeed will be our finest hour, with Paul playing with tremendous infectious energy all afternoon!
This will be Paul’s second annual visit to our Club. G’day Mate!
NOJCSC Youth Jazz Band project
At the club meeting on August 18th, we had the pleasure of meeting and hearing several young musicians in the Tailgate Room for the first time. A special thank you to Ryan Merrill for his helpful recruiting work!
We are working to assemble more interested young people, and hope to begin monthly meetings in the back room at Westminster Lanes in October. (This would not interfere with the regular Tailgate Room activities during club meetings.)
Currently we are looking for more clarinet/sax players and rhythm section players, particularly on piano and guitar/banjo.
The goal of the Youth Jazz Band is to become a true, self-contained performing ensemble, able to play at jazz clubs, community events and jazz festivals without the need of adult direction during performances.
If you know a young musician (perhaps a child, grandchild, or even a neighbor or friend) who might want to get involved, please let them know about us! My contact info is: Steve Tyler, steve [at] nojcsc [dot] org, cell/text (650) 224-8094.
“Keep Jazz Alive. If we don’t, who will?” –John Hockins
Website and Facebook
As you know our website at nojcsc.org has been completely revised and revitalized. Please let us know what you think and any additions that you would like to see!
The Club also has a Facebook page. “Like” our page to receive updates on Facebook.
Advisory Notice to our Members and Guests:
We will from time to time use photographs and/or video taken during the course of our Club Meetings. These photographs and/or videos may be used on our new Facebook page and website. Any member or guest must inform a board member if they do not wish to have their photo taken or appear in either photographs or video that may be posted online. —Board of NOJCSC.
Join the Club!
NOJCSC is constantly seeking new members, and we’d like to encourage you and your families to become members of our Club.
The Club was formed as a non-profit corporation in 1968 and is administered by volunteers whose aim is to perpetuate the living American music art form known as New Orleans Jazz.
Join NOJCSC and get…
- Lots of great Classic Jazz performances, dancing and an all-around good time. The music is the foundation, but our focus is fun! We aim to return every dollar of the membership fees back to the members to better their enjoyment. We have four buffet luncheons every year, in addition to door prizes and snack bowls on the tables — all at no additional cost.
- Lots of friends who also enjoy Classic Jazz. The Club provides a venue for all members to come together once a month and enjoy the music, dancing and camaraderie. And door prizes.
- Lots of instrument time with Tailgate Room jam sessions. The Club also provides a “Tailgate Room” where musicians at every level may play their instruments with the assistance and coaching from more experienced musicians.
“Keep Classic Jazz alive. If we don’t, who will?”
How much does it cost?
|A.||MUSICIAN OR VOLUNTEER||$60|
|B.||MUSICIAN OR VOLUNTEER COUPLE||$108|
All of the above are one-time donations for the year and include entrance to all normal 3rd-Sunday Club meetings.
Door Admission for Non-members
- Non-members: $12 at the door for each club meeting
- Visiting members of other Jazz Clubs: $6
To apply, please fill out and submit the short online membership application on our website.
— Your Board of Directors
For more information about our club or to see past issues of Intermission, please visit http://nojcsc.org/.
If you have any questions, please contact NOJCSC president pro tem John Hockins at john [at] nojcsc [dot] org.