July 2013 issue – NOJCSC Intermission Newsletter
July 1st, 2013
It is with great sadness that we report the sudden death of our Club President, Chelsea Joy. She was involved in a collision while riding her bicycle and died at the scene. The accident occurred on Thursday, June 20th, in Fullerton.
Chelsea was twenty-two years old and had recently completed her degree in the study of Traditional Jazz the great American Music Art Form, and was elected by the board of directors to the role of President. She was an accomplished musician playing soprano sax and clarinet. Her mission in life was to engage with young musicians like herself and encourage them to play Traditional Jazz.
Chelsea will be missed and our thoughts, prayers and condolences go to her family.
This video of Chelsea playing at the Club was made in February 2013. (Video courtesy of Franklin Clay Films.)
Retired President John Hockins will take over the role of President pro-tem.
We will continue to play the music that Chelsea loved so much so please join us at our next Club meeting on Sunday, July 21, 2013 at the Press Box at Westminster Lanes, Westminster for an entertaining afternoon of Traditional Jazz and Swing featuring Cory Gemme’s Dixiebop Quartet and the Revelation Classic Jazz Band — Great Music for dancing and a great place to celebrate LIFE!
- Live Music from 1 PM to 5 PM.
- Bar Service.
- Large Dance Floor.
- Big Daddy’s Cafe, offering delicious food and snacks.
- Tailgate Room — musicians, bring your instruments for a jam session. Sign in with the music director, Alan Shelton.
- Friends and Fun!
NOJCSC is now on Facebook!
As you know, our website at nojcsc.org is undergoing a complete revision and revitalization. Our launch date is July 14th! We’ll send out an email to announce the launch, so stay tuned.
The Club now has its own page on Facebook. “Like” our page to receive updates on Facebook.
Advisory Notice to our Members and Guests: We will from time to time use photographs and video taken during the course of our Club Meetings. These photographs and videos may be used on our Facebook page or website. Any member or guest must inform a board member if they do not wish to have their photo taken or appear in either photographs or video that may be posted on those sites.
— Board of NOJCSC
Join the Club!
NOJCSC is constantly seeking new members, and we’d like to encourage you and your families to become members of our Club.
The Club was formed as a non-profit corporation in 1968 and is administered by volunteers whose aim is to perpetuate the living American music art form known as New Orleans Jazz.
Join NOJCSC and get…
- Lots of great Classic Jazz performances, dancing and an all-around good time. The music is the foundation, but our focus is fun! We aim to return every dollar of the membership fees back to the members to better their enjoyment. We have four buffet luncheons every year, in addition to door prizes and snack bowls on the tables — all at no additional cost.
- Lots of friends who also enjoy Classic Jazz. The Club provides a venue for all members to come together once a month and enjoy the music, dancing and camaraderie. And door prizes.
- Lots of instrument time with Tailgate Room jam sessions. The Club also provides a “Tailgate Room” where musicians at every level may play their instruments with the assistance and coaching from more experienced musicians.
“Keep Classic Jazz alive. If we don’t, who will?”.
How much does it cost?
|A.||MUSICIAN OR VOLUNTEER||$60|
|B.||MUSICIAN OR VOLUNTEER COUPLE||$108|
All of the above are one-time donations for the year and include entrance to all normal 3rd-Sunday Club meetings.
Door Admission for Non-members
- Non-members: $12 at the door for each club meeting
- Visiting members of other Jazz Clubs: $6
View/download a printable membership application here:
— Your Board of Directors
For more information about our club or to see past issues of Intermission, please visit http://nojcsc.org/.
If you have any questions or would like to try your hand at editing this newsletter, please contact NOJCSC President John Hockins at johnnojcsc [dot] org.